We managed to do and see some really neat things...We've already got a list of things we'd like to do for the next time out to Texas....when that will be, we don't know, but it WON'T BE JUNE, JULY, OR AUGUST, hopefully!
Things we wished we had had time for to explore but will have to wait till next time....
1. The museum district, downtown Houston...LOTS of great museums--19 of them to be exact, with all kinds of culture within short distances of each other. We especially wanted to see the Houston Museum of Natural Science and Sparky wanted to see the Children's Museum of Houston, rated the #1 children's museum in the United States by Parents Magazine.
2. The Beer Can House...as seen on roadsideamerica.com Some guy has his house sided with over 50,000 (?) beer cans of which every one he drank over the years.
3. Waugh Drive Bridge--Sparky tried to get Eldy to go visit the bridge with her at sunset, to see 250,000 bats fly out, but he wasn't interested. (Now really, who wants to go see that? E. asks) There are even Waugh Bridge Bat Colony Pontoon boat tours!
4. Miller Outdoor Theater in Hermann Park--FREE entertainment!
5. The downtown Aquarium looked pretty cool.....
6. Williams Water Wall--a 64 foot Water Wall designed by architects Philip Johnson and John Burgee.
7. Buffalo Bayou Kayak tour--paddle through the heart of Houston!
8. Fifth Ward Jam--a contemporary art sculpture in Houston's Fifth Ward neighborhood. A rundown bungalow has been transformed into an architectural marvel that is both a performance place and a neighborhood park.
9. The Orange Show...It's a folk art monument made of concrete, brick, steel and other stuff, celebrating the guy's vision who made it, the late Jeff McKissack, a former Houston postal worker who spent 20 years building it. It's a testament to the builder's favorite fruit, the orange, eating healthy, longevity, and hard work.
And that's the current list...There's tons more to be added, but that's enough for now!
|Fifth Ward Jam|
And last, but not least, one last little peek at the cutest little grandson a grandma could ever ask for.."Just gimme two more minutes of rest, Grandma, before you start kissing my cheekies again!"
And I might get in a little trouble, but had to show my favorite photos of him over the last two weeks!