On one list of ten things to do in Ocean Springs, there's not much mentioned as far as actual places to go see, but Biloxi is just over the bridge two miles from Ocean Springs and there's more going on there than you could possibly have enough time to do and see it all! Hurricane Katrina damaged so much in this area, that much of it has been rebuilt and remodeled. Everything looks clean and new, but every once in awhile, you see the relics from the storm-- a partially sunk boat, the empty vacant lots between the new apartments and houses, the remains of someone's home. Mississippi is the poorest state in the U.S., so they are struggling mightily state wide, but you can't tell in the Ocean Springs area.
Here is a sample suggestion from a local brochure of ten things to do while in Ocean Springs-- besides go to the beach, which is a given!
2. Take a stroll under the magnificent live oaks...
3. Pick up a visitor's guide at the Chamber of Commerce on Main Street--then shop at over 150 shops and galleries.
4. Gig for flounder by moonlight..."Gig"...hmm-m-m..that sounds intriguing..I'm assuming it means go fishing!
5.Watch the sunset over the Gulf of Mexico
6. Visit the Walter Anderson Museum of Art
7. Take in a live performance at the Mary C. O'Keefe Cultural Center for Arts and Education
8. Explore the bayous and river tributaries by kayak. Sparky has already checked that out and can see getting lost VERY easily. Not sure she is going unless it's a straight shot out and back. All the curves and inlets and marshes look the same out there!
9. Pedal your way around the city's bike route. There are over 20 miles of cement path right in town plus lots more miles outside of town. But it's awfully hot for that this next couple of days, temps around 90.
10. Picnic at the beach at the beautiful Fort Maurepas Park or check out some cool mosaics right by the bay bridge to Biloxi--the Ocean Springs/Biloxi Bay Bridge. These were done by four local artists and artist, Elizabeth Veglia arranging the placement and installation. The mosaics are 550 square feet of beautiful tile designs of the Ocean Springs beach area. Gorgeous!
As Sparky is not much of a shopper, we spent more time down by the bridge and the waterfront park. There's a protected walker's lane on the Biloxi Bay Bridge. Many people were out this evening walking the bridge for exercise. You could bike it, but the incline is steep and most people choose to walk. It's a beautiful, new bridge.
|view from underneath the bridge|
We enjoyed our exploratory little trip around the town of Ocean Springs. It's truly a place to kick back and a vacation destination! The Mississippi Crane Wildlife Refuge is very close by and there are many other wonderful places to see and things to do. We could see spending a couple of weeks here and more, especially since our RV park is 8.00 a night, but we only have two and a half days. We'll definitely come back. And look what's across the water in Biloxi!..There are lots of casinos in the Biloxi area. Plenty of places to eat cheap, have a little fun, and the competition for the tourist dollar is tremendous along with lots of top notch entertainment begging for your buck. As a matter of fact, tomorrow is the grand opening of Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville Casino in Biloxi...We're going to check it out! See you there!