Wednesday, November 17, 2010

A Beautiful Day at the Disc Golf Park

I should be so lucky...two disc golf courses in two different locations in two different states almost back to back...this one is at the Arkabutla Dam park area. The course is called the Lost Indian Spring Disc Golf course...the wind picked up a little this afternoon, but we still decided to go..Here you see Eldy warming up, he did all kinds of crazy warm up stretches and had me laughing so hard I could hardly hold the camera straight. I was laughing because it wouldn't have taken much for him to pull something while horsing around! He was doing all kinds of contortions! Eldy is starting to enjoy it more and more now that he has picked up how to throw the driver disc and boy, can he putt!  It's disgusting how fast he picked up the game and how fast he learned to beat me. This is his first year playing, my fifth. He must be a natural athlete. Sigh! It took me  lo-o-n-n-n-g time to learn to throw with some distance. He's doing so well he beat me by four strokes on the 18 hole course today! Gr-r-r-r-r.....

This was an interesting course but a whole lot easier than the championship one we played in Russellville, AR. The throws today were all straight on to the basket, BUT sometimes you were to wing it thru two trees narrowly spaced apart. On one hole, there was a cautionary sign about water moccasin snakes and other water snakes that could be in the grass in case your disc just happened to land by the water...whew! it didn't...Eldy said if he saw a snake, he would boogie out of there so fast, he'd leave me in the dust! I think he said something like, "Don't expect me to wait around while you throw your disc if I see a snake!" Eldy is a manly man, but snakes are one thing and about the only thing that I know that freaks him out! I sorta half way wanted to see a snake so I could take a photo of one and a photo of Eldy running as fast as he could outta there! Makes for an interesting course to have something else to think about besides throwing the disc. It's bad enough when you have to worry about throwing a slice or a hook into nearby briars or kudzu, but SNAKES! Gives a whole new meaning to "snake in the grass" for me....Yikes!

Another cool hole was on number 5, where it said the largest population of deer in the county was found just across the pond at the side of the woods by the hole. That would have been cool to see some had we been playing late in the day, but it was too early for them. We saw a lot of kudzu, that invasive plant that was so kindly identified for us by a couple of followers. I thought it would be bad to lose your disc in that stuff. You might not be able to find your way out! We had lots of fun today and it was great to see Eldy enjoying this sport so much more now, mainly because he likes to beat me at my own game.We both get fresh air and exercise, and Eldy can't use a golf cart on this golf course, heh, heh, heh! And he he has to walk 18 holes, heh, heh, heh! (You'll never catch him walking a regular golf course, of course that's YARDS of walking, not feet, but I'm working on him, heh, heh, heh! One more day here at this beautiful park, with nobody here but a couple other campers in far corners of the park....more and more parks are closing at we start to think about moving east towards Indiana. We'll be heading out Friday for Illinois....here is a pretty closing shot of the sunrise this morning at Lake Arkabutla.
Lake Arkabutla, Mississippi


2 comments:

  1. ahhhh... looks like the two of you had a really tough day...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a stunning backdrop to your overnight stay!!! Bobbie

    ReplyDelete