Well, we sort of knew we were going....west, towards the Blue Ridge Mountains. Where to stay? We stopped at a beautiful welcome center in North Carolina, gathered up a bunch of brochures (Sparky likes to collect them, you know....) and were on our way...
|entrance coming up to the Blue Ridge Parkway|
|A trail near the parkway visitor center|
We stopped at overlook after overlook, each one just as beautiful as the last......
The temperatures were dropping into the very pleasant low seventies and high sixties....What a relief from the Florida heat! As the sun started to set, we headed back to the hotel. We had one day left to explore the area, and we were going to make the most of it! Time to go back and plan an excursion as we only were going to spend one more day in the area before heading back to Florida....
Back at the hotel, Sparky started investigating and reading all the info we had gathered...
POPULAR ATTRACTIONS ALONG THE WESTERN NORTH CAROLINA SECTION OF THE PARKWAY INCLUDE:
- Grandfather Mountain at Milepost 305
- Blue Ridge Parkway Visitor Center at Milepost 384
- North Carolina Arboretum at Milepost 393.6
- Folk Art Center at Milepost 382
- Mt. Mitchell, the tallest mountain east of the Mississippi, Milepost 355.4
- Craggy Gardens picnic area and hiking trails at Milepost 367.6
- Pisgah Inn, an inn and restaurant, at Milepost 408.7
POPULAR PARKWAY OVERLOOKS FOR VIEWING WESTERN NORTH CAROLINA'S SCENIC BEAUTY INCLUDE:
- Cold Mountain overlook, the namesake of the best selling novel and movie, at Milepost 412
- Looking Glass Rock overlook, a distinct rock formation named for the way water and ice reflects off mountain's granite surface, Milepost 417
- Graveyard Fields overlook, the barren scenery is reminiscent of the moor of England, Milepost 418.8
We decided to head to the Mile High Bridge on Grandfather Mountain the next day.....See you there!
Sounds like you are enjoying you trip back to Florida, take your time.ReplyDelete
Drive north to where the parkway ends and Shennandoah National Park begins and stop to climb Humpback Rock. When you get to the top and look down our farm is in a little hollow in the foothills.ReplyDelete
We've only done a tiny bit of the parkway. It's such a beautiful area!ReplyDelete
Blue Ridge Mountain upcoming trip I will have to hope it will be interesting to explore. friv 4ReplyDelete