Saturday, March 5, 2011

Yuma, Yes!

We are traveling to Yuma today for the Gypsy Journal Rally at the Yuma Fairgrounds. This is our second rally with Nick Russell. We attended his first one in Elkhart, IN last summer. We are coming in a little early as Eldy is going to help with parking this weekend for incoming arrivals. I'm selling Tastefully Simple at the rally all week, so we are going to be busy! When the rally is over, back we come to Palm Creek in Casa Grande, AZ.

We love Nick's rally. He's a very funny guy, very interesting and there's always great entertainment and wonderful people there. (Nick publishes the Gypsy Journal, a great travel newspaper full of great tips, stories and travel information for RVers.) Hopefully, it won't be too hot, as most spaces at the fairgrounds are only 20 amp...everybody is going to have to be extremely careful on what they use inside or they are going to blow the circuit breaker. You have to be aware about what appliances come on at the same time when you are using different things in the RV. Some people are extremely knowledgeable, have tested different things inside the coach with meters and know how much amperage the fridge draws, the coffee pot, a small fan, etc. I'm thinking maybe we should get a meter ourselves just in case. 'Course, I'm also the person who had every little electrical gadget in my house for measuring, testing, checking multiple plugs, devices, and some of them I didn't have a clue how to use them so I never did! I just thought a single gal should have all these things on hand. I also had a bazillion tools, washers and screw assortments that cluttered up my house and pole barn and didn't really utilize them. I love Lowes and Home Depot--always came out with something I didn't need or use when I went there. My collections made for a great garage sale, though, when I moved out!

Yesterday was the pickleball tournament. I couldn't believe how many people came in for this! Pickleball is HUGE in the southwest, but we'd never heard of it until we went to Arkansas and Florida...and of course Palm Creek has the courts for a tourney--twelve of them, and they were busy yesterday from 8:00 AM till 6:00 PM.  Over three hundred people came in for the tournament! The bike racks all around the courts were full of residents' bikes who came down to watch. I've mentioned pickleball before, but it's a cross between tennis, badminton and pingpong. You play it on shortened up tennis court grid. The rules and scoring are very similar to tennis. The racquets are squarish and are flat boards like ping pong racquets. The ball is like a wiffle ball! Great exercise, much less running and more stretching to reach the ball. Sounds good, and after we get back from Yuma, Eldy and I are going to play! Palm Creek has racquets and balls for rental to try it out AND free lessons on Mondays and Fridays.
See you at the rally!

1 comment:

  1. Wait a minute, I remember meeting you two at the last GJR in Elkhart!!! We just didn't know it...darn it! LOL!

    ReplyDelete