Tuesday, February 1, 2011

The Art of Blogging

This is a different kind of post today as you'll see...it's been extremely windy all day and really cold as it is in most of the United States at this time. I was going to do my laundry, thinking we'll spend the day at home today, but then Eldy decided we'd head out to the Houston Space Center...woo-hoo! Laundry will just have to wait till tomorrow--darn! We spent most of the day there..I'm having to wade through all the photos and experiences of today to filter out the best parts to share...so going to wait till tomorrow to tell about the Space Center...just know it was very very cool!

I've been knitting up a storm lately, and my egg collection is growing..not sure what I'm going to do with these. I'd like to sell them. I was thinking about putting each egg in a handmade origami type Chinese take out basket with some Easter grass in them and offering them as singles. They are about three inches long and are made from sock yarn. Or, another thought is I would put them in a little basket and sell several of them as an Easter basket. Need to get anybody's opinion on whether these are interesting enough that someone might want to buy them. What do you think? Honesty is what I'm looking for here....

I started thinking about how to make a blog more interesting to myself and more expressive of my inner creative side, and I came across a magazine, Artful Blogging. It's by Somerset Studio and it has some of the most beautiful photography and personal blogs in it I have ever seen. It's very inspirational, but somewhat intimidating as well, because it's definitely more on the artistic side--the photography skill level is way up there. But hey, motivation is a great thing so I'm going to try and "change up" my blog now and then to just express some inner creativity and we'll see what happens! (Uh-oh! says E. Does this mean more craft supplies in our home in which Sparky's craft supplies are already busting out of the cupboards and the bays?) 


Just to give you an idea of what these blogs look like, here are a couple of links to unique blogs that the magazine featured a while back. I hope you will check them out just because they are unusual, very artsy and beautiful. Some times with all the ugliness in the world, I just like to look at beautiful photos. So if artsy blogs do not interest you, you can skip this part.  We'll be back to our usual stuff tomorrow...


Kind Over Matter  This is a blog that shares "feel good" things...
Ilka's Attic...a photography blog that hooks up to another blog called alwayschrysti.com and together they do bi-weekly photography challenges that are one word prompts using the camera lens to interpret the prompt....
Lobster and Swan--cool photos...
Blue Bird Notes--beautiful photos...

Hope the weather is not too bad wherever you are and you are safe and sound at home.....see you tomorrow!






3 comments:

  1. Right now what you have is a blog about your RV travels. Perhaps you could do a second blog that is more artsy-craftsy, where you can just let go of that creative spirit.

    I think it's important to decide who you are blogging for, your hoped-for readership, and you can write and publish several blogs if you like. No matter how many bloggers say they are blogging for themselves, we wouldn't publish a blog if we didn't hope there were folks interested in reading it.

    Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog, you hit it all. Beautiful places, local birds, great food, and what you're doing. Very entertaining. Beside the parrots and your beloved Grackels, there are also red winged blackbirds. Also some little birds, but I don't know what they are.
    Neighbor Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the eggs and think they would make a beautiful center piece for an Easter dinner. I'm with Gypsy on the blogging. Start another blog for the Artsy/fartsy stuff. I would probably check in on it, because I like that kind of thing too. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

    ReplyDelete