Tuesday, August 17, 2010

A peaceful day....

It's Tuesday, but it could be any day..the days just blur one into another, and that's the nice thing about retirement...we usually ask each other, "What day is it today?" and you know what, it doesn't really matter! For those of you who are still working, if you are close to retiring or hanging on in the hopes that the stock market is going to get better, or you can't retire until things are just right....the time should be as soon as you can! You don't know how long you have, how long your health will hold out, or when some catastrophe is going to intervene...I'm so glad I retired at 60....I was going to wait till I was 65, but things just kind of guided me to the place I am today, with Eldy and traveling in a motor home. I didn't sell my house, but a renter approached me, I didn't go looking for him. Eldy sold his house, our possessions ended up where they were supposed to be, either with family or in storage and here we are.....

We didn't really plan things out well ahead of time...we just both knew that we wanted to travel, and Eldy guided me to the RV route---and I'm really glad he did! I think flexibility is the key, you can't be set in your ways...but I am finding out that both of you really need to be flexible to live in a small space in an RV...you have to treat each other as if you were best friends and we are...you have to be considerate about sharing such a small living space, and you have to be problem solvers to solve those sticky issues that are bound to come up, such as one of you being a TV watcher and the other one not, snoring issues...how do we work together to solve that one? and I'll bet it's a common one...right now we are trying ear plugs...(just for the record we both snore, but we'll leave you guessing as to which one is louder! lol), if one of you needs more "space" than the other, then you get creative about how to honor that...

One of the things we love about RVing, is the great people we are starting to meet! There are several couples at our campsite who "work camp", they work at the campgrounds in exchange for free camping or other special amenities to make their stay very affordable. I learned about a lot of different things from just chatting--what constitutes "high altitude" when baking while traveling, ideas for promoting my Tastefully Simple business, where to stay when traveling, what work camping is all about, some tips for blogging, and how people spend their time in retirement in their RVs and fifth wheels....we just covered all kinds of topics while chatting! People who RV are very outgoing, and love to share what they have learned in their journeys...

At the end of the day today, we played golf on the course that is in the "front yard" of our campsite/campground. I'm a beginner and Eldy is the experienced one...never thought I would pick up a golf club, but it's fun and I'm glad I tried it! The course is a lovely course, and we attempted the back nine which was quite challenging for us! The weather has been wonderful today--in the seventies and in the 50's at night. So we've turned off the air conditioners and turned on the "fantastic fan"(that's really the name of it) which really does a fantastic job of drawing fresh air through the motor home, and at night, with the bedroom windows open, a nice cool breeze wafts through the house. We both like it so cold, that we sleep with the air blowing through the windows right next to our faces...like the old days of sleeping in the tent with the cold air coming through. Nighty nite!

1 comment:

  1. If I had to guess Dad snores the loudest. Lori mistaked him for a bear one time. So we know how bad he is. Glad you guys are learning and loving life. Can't wait to see you next week. Love ya.

    ReplyDelete